Linux for FPGA Design:
- FPGA Design Tools can be installed on Linux Distro’s
- Linux can be used for building the FPGA bit files and sources [Bootable File], the linux commands allow to design any FPGA design more faster than following the VIVADO GUI.
- Installation of PetaLinux on Linux can be done for creating the embedded processing systems [bootable files].
- Development of Drivers on the Linux is more preferred for FPGA’s: as example writing the driver for PCI Express application for FPGA is preferred on Linux.
Tutorial Series on Linux and VIVADO:
2. How to Install FPGA Board driver [After installation of VIVADO on Ubuntu Completes]
Goto the VIVADO installed directory on your Ubuntu Machine -In this tutorial, we assume installed directory as /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1 , you can take your’s.
$ cd /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2019.1/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers $ sudo ./install_drivers After this command, you will see this type of output INFO: Installing cable drivers. INFO: Script name = ./install_drivers INFO: HostName = Compaq8200 INFO: Current working dir = /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.2/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers INFO: Kernel version = 4.4.0-130-generic. INFO: Arch = x86_64. Successfully installed Digilent Cable Drivers . . . INFO: Driver installation successful. CRITICAL WARNING: Cable(s) on the system must be unplugged then plugged back in order for the driver scripts to update the cables. Now enter following command:
sudo adduser $USER dialout
3. How to Install FPGA Board Files [From Digilent or Xilinx] on VIVADO at Ubuntu:
- Download the Board Files from the Digilent Website or Github, extract those board files on your Ubuntu.
- Goto: vivado-boards-master/new/board_files and copy all the board files. If you have open VIVADO then close for now.
- Now goto: /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/201x.x/data/boards/boards_files and paste.
- Now you can open VIVADO from Terminal: $vivado & , and create a test project and check either new boards are available there or not.
- If this method don’t work then follow this tutorial [section 3.2]: Link